How to Stay in Shape as a college football or HS football Coach?

This is something I have been wanting to address for some time. Coaches are in a great position to make a difference in a young man’s life. However, a coaching job can be very demanding. Many coaches are the first one there and often the last to leave. HS coaches sometimes have to teach a subject, manage students, manage athletes, study film, and the list goes on. I could recall when I coached leaving the office on game nights at 11 p.m. That is not exactly a formula for being chiseled. College coaches are also under tremendous stress to win and their schedules are hectic. I remember my college football coach sleeping in his office instead of his home during two a day practices. I also recalled watching a documentary of one of the best football programs in the nation and a coach saying he would skip lunch just so he could make it home by 10 p.m. I know if you don’t you don’t stay at the major programs, but there is no way I am sacrificing my family for football. You don’t get that time back and those programs have no loyalty. You are the hero one minute and the hunted the other. That is a whole other story. I think we as coaches have to be role models to the young men that we lead. We have to show them how they can balance their passion for football yet not neglect other areas of their lives. I am a firm believer in prioritizing life in the order of faith, family, and football. How can you tell them to stay in shape while you are overweight? There is nothing like a coach that sets the tone by living what he preaches. Don’t get me wrong I believe in working hard, but not over working. Here are some strategies to stay in shape while coaching effectively. 1) Eat healthy snacks- Snickers is not a quality lunch. Keep fruit and nuts handy. These are easy to carry and does not require much planning. Also, all natural bars like Rise Bar, Pro Bar, Focus Food Bars, or Parr Bars. These bars should keep you full before your next meal and keep you from eating empty calories. Also, drink plenty of water which will keep you full and stay away from drinking your calories. That means the sugar laden coffee, soft drinks, and beer. 2) Train with the team. Your workout may be different since you are not a spring chicken anymore, but the kids just enjoy the fact that you are willing to step into the trenches. I have been able to get more out of my guys when I step up to the plate benching, squatting, rowing, and doing pull ups. It shows them that you are willing to go to war with them and it will build camaraderie. They know you are not one of them, but you share enough in common to build a strong bond. I would even run with them as that is where it really takes mental toughness to complete the drills. However, you better warm-up so you don’t get hurt. 3) Enlist the help of another. Allow the athletes to see you submit yourself to another that knows more than you in an area. That will show them it is okay to ask for help and not know everything. Many college coaches have strength coaches on their staff and this is a great resource to build a quality training program. I would keep my workouts about 45 minutes long and go hard on compound movements. Also, have fun with some supplemental exercises that will ensure total body development. Don’t try to hold back…let them see you struggle as well as fail. That is part of life and will help prepare your athletes for adversity on and off the field. 4) Read a book every day. It is unrealistic for you to expect your athletes to value education if you are unwilling to invest in that area. Also, read books that are not related to sports. The message must be clear that life is more than football. As coaches, we must help our athletes develop life after football because football will eventually stop. Please stop cussing coaches as it teaches the young men that they should limit expressing themselves and wrongfully deal with anger. How about correcting with passion, but also building them up. Coaches that cuss always looked like kids that did not know how to communicate effectively. All failures are opportunities to teach which is what coaching is all about. 5) Take walks often to clear your mind and spend time with your family. There is enough stress in life. I can’t make it in life without praying that God guides me throughout the day. Find time with yourself and pull away for some relaxation. This could be your time to get away from football. 6) Travel is not excuse to keep you from exercising. Bring your travel kit like blast straps, trx, jump rope, and stretch bands. I also like to bring my jump rope and my running shoes. I like to run hill sprints and enjoy some bodyweight exercises. This will help relax you for the game. I hope these strategies gave you some ideas on how to stay in good shape regardless of your schedule while coaching. There are other tips, but I thought this would be a good start. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Cent's Trainer Talks Fitness with Fast Youth Athlete