What is the Chamber?

Many have asked me what the chamber is all about. They have heard us mention it when we are talking about training, so most thought it had to do with physical training. And you would be right. However, there is much more to it. The chamber is harnessing your God-given passion for training to change your mindset about training. I was a rookie to the chamber until I stepped on my college campus. Dan Helms and the example showed me what it really meant to enter the chamber.

 The chamber has everything to do with overlooking your equipment limitations in the weight room or focusing on what you don't have. Our weight room was real old school. But, the more results I received the more I realized that fancy machines were not needed to get results. We had everything you need to obtain results. Let's take a trip down memory lane. We had some benches, rusty weights, bars, dumbbells, squat racks, and hammer machines. I can still remember the rust on my shirt when we left the weight room. There was something about that atmosphere that made me realize my only reason for being there was hardcore training.

We would challenge each other which made us push our limits. It would be rare that someone would want to give in. If Dan Helms or the example added another 25 lb plate to the bar they would have to drag me out of there for me not to attempt it. That was not the best program design now that I know better, but it helped me develop mental toughness that could not be touched on the field. It made me feel like there wasn't a receiver in the conference I could not punish. I reminded myself that these opponents did not train with Dan helms and the example. What a feeling it was to know that you strained, sweated, and bled to make it through those grueling sessions.

 I think that is one thing we have tried to instill in our business Lamour Training Systems. We want you to know that you will work hard during the training sessions, but the inward as well as outward rewards will be well worth it. Life is not about easy DB curls and looking at the mirror. Life can be a tough grind sometimes but you must learn to appreciate being uncomfortable. I live by the bible verse faith without works is dead. You will not reach your fitness or athletic goals without learning to be uncomfortable. this Many times I have heard others say that football players or professional athletes should look great since that is their job. Wake up...stop making excuses. They still have to make a decision to put in the work.

I have been around enough lazy athletes to tell you that the hard workers are to be appreciated. You can put forth that same effort to accelerate your results as well. There were many times I did not want to enter the chamber because I knew what was ahead would not be fun. What kept me going was having my goals in my room to remind me why I am taking my body through this. I knew that I wanted to be the best DB in our conference. It was a true blessing, but not a surprise that I made all conference for three years. I sowed the substance of what I hoped for. I spent my summer in training while friends were watching TV and going out. I endured the process because every step toward progress encouraged me.

Each goal I achieved was fuel to keep pushing. I would squat 315x10 while weighing 170. Maybe, that is why I enjoy fast fuel pre-workout. That small victory created a mindset that seeked adversity. I soon learned that though adversity is the road less traveled it is the road that leads to the greatest victories oftentimes. Some days I would have temporary set backs where I could not hit my numbers I wrote in my training books or missed my sprint times. Although, the setbacks were numerous I refused to allow them to be failures. Failure only occurs if you stop.

I fought until there wasn't any more fight. It is the same way I approach business and family life. You must be willing to leave it all on the field in every area of life. You can help develop that mentality if you stop seeing the weight room as just a place to train but start seeing it as the "chamber." I leave you with a story of another episode of the chamber.

 It was one of those grueling sessions in the weight room during off season workouts. It was early in the morning and I did not want to be there. It was one of those stays where I had a big number of tests and did not get enough sleep. But like Mitch Jenk said, " You are here now." It didn't help that coach came in singing old West Virginia country songs. The switch was turned on...I ask God to help me as I knew I was going to lay it on the line. We were separated into our lifting groups and the chamber began. We started at the hammer squat. This machine was huge contraption that worked the legs. It might not have been the best leg muscle developer as the machine helped fix the plane of motion. However, we didn't know any better also our progress could be measured. It seemed I made tons of progress when I did not over think things and made sure I increased the weights weekly. Now a days we have so much information on the internet that we can over think our training.

Anyways, it was my turn and coach slapped 700 lbs. on the machine. I think I was weighing about 175 and there was no way I was going to let coach take off any weights. Remember, we are in the chamber baby... I lifted and lifted. Things started slowing down and this where you enter the grind zone. Do you run and hide or attack the weights. I chose to attack. Coach was saying things like, " Let's get one more rep for the playoffs, for the program, for the championship." There was no way I was going to let the team down. I ended up doing 23 reps and beat some of the linemen. The end result was they had to carry me to breakfast because I could not walk. Also, my jaw locked and I had to go see the emergency dentist. Some would say that was crazy, but I was will endure the pain to receive the promise on the other in. What are you willing to endure? How bad do you want it? Step into the chamber...See you all next time. Special thanks to Dan Helms and The Example who showed me how to get down in the chamber.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Cent's Trainer Talks Fitness with Fast Youth Athlete