Perfect Form & Choices


It is amazing to have the opportunity to be coached as you are allowed to learn through the experiences of another person. Experience can be the greatest teacher sometimes. It is hard to talk someone out of something they have been through. I cannot tell you about the numerous coaches I learned from over the years. An athlete can avoid so many mistakes if they listen and learn from their coaches.

Most of the lessons I learned from my coaches were off the field lessons. I can remember coach Lang in high school teaching us about how the character of a man is more important than his athletic ability. He was a great Christian man and told us about the value of abstaining from sex until marriage. At the age of 16, I can't say I was very receptive to that lesson. But I look back now and wished I would have listened.

What made me think about this subject was skimming through my college yearbook. It brought back some memories of how I had lived my life and some of the mistakes I had made. I thought about falling into pre-marital sex, being someone you are not, and making poor decisions. What I was lacking was an undeniable experience with Jesus, which could give us the power to live this life. It reminded of the time wasted as you do not know your purpose for truly being on this earth.

What we can't do is go back, but what young athletes can do is take my experience and make better decisions for themselves. I have the upmost respect for coaches who are willing to share their lives as well as their playbooks with their athletes. That is why I am so passionate about helping young men be the best athletes and people they can be. These young men are one day going to be fathers, husbands, and community leaders.

It is why I come to every performance coaching session with a purpose in mind. I see young men that are able change their lives along with their running form. I had the opportunity to talk to a group of young men and I could see lives unfolding in front of my eyes. I taught them about keeping your chest up, feet underneath your hips, elbows pushed back, and chin tucked. But my greatest hope is they make the right choice to serve Jesus with all their heart. That choice will not make live any easier, but will allow you to learn from coaches that have had experiences you do not have to have. Life is just a group of choices that take you closer or farther away from achieving your purpose in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Cent's Trainer Talks Fitness with Fast Youth Athlete